New approach to COVID-19 testing
We want to share some important updates released by Alberta Health Services (AHS) and reminders regarding COVID-19.
NEW: AHS COVID-19 testing approach
In preparation for winter cold and influenza season, Alberta updated its COVID-19 testing approach. Testing will prioritize Albertans with symptoms and vulnerable groups at higher risk of getting or spreading COVID-19. This will reduce testing wait times and speed up access to results.
- Priority testing is available to:
- Voluntary asymptomatic testing is also available to:
- school teachers and staff
- health care workers
- staff and residents at congregate living facilities, including long-term care
- Albertans experiencing homelessness
- travellers who require testing prior to departure
UPDATED: AHS updated definition of “a close contact” of a COVID-19 case.
- Close contacts are defined as anyone who had contact with a case for more than 15 minutes and within two metres. People are considered close contacts even if they were wearing a mask or:
- had direct contact with bodily fluids of a person who has COVID-19 (e.g. was coughed or sneezed on)
- provides direct care for a person who has COVID-19
- Should you get tested if you are a close contact of a COVID-19 case?
- Yes, AHS recommends you are tested for COVID-19. While you are waiting for your test results you are required to self-isolate.
- If you are a close contact of a COVID-19 case, what should you do?
- You are legally required to isolate for 14 days from the time you were exposed. This is mandatory under the Public Health Act.
- Do you still have to self-isolate for 14 days if my test comes back negative?
- Yes. On the day you were tested there may not have been enough virus in your body for the test to pick up. Isolating for a full 14 days ensures that there is no virus in your system and therefore you won’t continue to spread it.
NEW: Masks bylaw in Calgary extended until Dec. 14
The City of Calgary extended the mask bylaw until at least Dec. 14. We also want to remind everyone that masks are required to be worn in the public areas of the Terminal.