Overseas Horse Services now fully operates the Specialized Cargo Facility on Apron IX
The Specialized Cargo Facility has changed hands from the International Animal Lounge to its parent company. Photo Credit: International Animal Lounge
Did you know that YYC built, owned and operated a specialized warehouse used for air transport of animals? We were not horsing around.
The 30,000 square foot facility, known as the Specialized Cargo Facility (SCF), has been operating under split operations between YYC and the International Animal Lounge since opening in 2014. The International Animal Lounge (IAL) operated the public facing side of the building; while the back warehouse was operated on behalf of YYC by IAL.
We’re happy to announce that Overseas Horse Services (OHS), IAL’s parent company, has signed a lease for the full facility on Aug. 1, 2020. OHS will continue the movement and short-term boarding of both large and small animals. From horses, pigs and lamas, to cats and dogs, animals visiting or passing through the SCF are pampered with large kennels, plenty of food and even kennel runs. This change benefits both YYC and Overseas Horse Services, as it gives them time to recover from the pandemic and further establish and grow their business model.
What this means for YYC?
- YYC no longer has operating costs (warehousing cost) for the facility but maintains aeronautical fees.
- Many other expenses associated with the facility are turned over.
- We remain a key point for specialized cargo.
- YYC no longer participates from the direct goods movement.
- Allows us to focus on our core business.
- Flexibility to extend the term of lease under more favorable rental terms or move to a different use of the building.
For more information on the services IAL provides, visit their website.